Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kiely breaks Charlton Hearts

West Bromwich Albion 2
Charlton Athletic 2 (after extra time)
Albion win 4-3 on Penalties

Bounced Out

West Bromwich Albion 2

Charlton Athletic 1

Out of the cup pretty much as expected, but at least the unchanged team from Saturday played with heart, and in all honesty, it sounded like they should have got at least a draw to take the game into extra time.

Albion took the lead through Bednar after a quarter of an hour, and then extended their lead after a breakaway goal five minutes into the second half by Morrison. Before then, good chances had been created but missed by Izale McLeod and also by Luke Varney. Both forwards caused problems but were let down by poor finishing it seems.

Hope was raised after Chris Iwelumo came on with half an hour left, and within 100 seconds, his shot was blocked by Kiely and Ambrose lashed home the rebound.

Lloyd Sam and Matt Holland both had good shots fly just wide, and Pards went for a result by throwing on Dickson and Thomas in a manic closing ten minutes.

The team should draw heart from this game; it showed that once more the pace of the front men is better than the one-up negative play we had prior to Xmas. Saturdays away game is another tough one, but hopefully no injuries came out of tonight’s game and we can field another unchanged side if Pards so wishes at Vicarage Road.

As time expired, the whole match report you’ve read above as blown out of the water by Chris Dickson (top) crashing the ball home after a fine pass by Sam.

If the draw was the last result both teams wanted from the first tie, extra time was the least favourable result the managers wanted from tonight.

Weaver made a great save to keep Charlton in the game, and Madjid Bougherra struggled with cramp as the Addicks hung on till extra time half-time. Dickson also picked up an injury, and struggled for a while to shake it off.

Dickson soon returned to full fitness, and was a real live-wire up front during the second additional period. He did get the ball past Kiely once, but the ball drifted wide, and had another shot blocked after being set up by Thomas.

Charlton finished the fitter, and put real pressure on the Baggies goal, and Dickson almost scored again with three minutes left but Kiely saved.

And then it was over, and penalties. Could Nicky Weaver be the hero or would Dean Kiely break Charlton's hearts? Penalty kicks - don'cha just luv 'em?

Charlton went first; Varney hits the bar.

Albion's first was by Brunt, and he scored. 1-0.

Dickson came next, and scored. Greening then had his saved by Weaver! 1-1.

Next up was Thomas, who stroked home powerfully. Koren scores too. 2-2.

Zheng Zhi had his kick saved by Kiely, and Morrison drilled the ball home. 3-2.

Bougherra had to score, and did, just. It was left to Bednar to win the game, and he did. 4-3.

Good game, shame about the result. Let's concentrate on the league.

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Charlton Athletic Online!

powered by Bloglet
Sports Business Directory - BTS Local
Custom Search