Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Saved by Nicky's!

Ipswich Town 1 Charlton Athletic 1

At least a Spanish radio station stopped me listening to commentary of the game tonight, although my wife was kind enough to allow me to watch Sky Sports News, so I couldn’t escape the match completely.

Pardew made four more changes to the starting line up, playing Lloyd Sam and Svetislav Todorov – the second half heroes on Saturday – plus Matt Holland, and also recalling Kelly Youga. Out, who knows how long for, went Grant Basey, Izale McLeod, , and Josh Wright, while Linvoy Primus at least made the subs bench.

Other correspondents will confirm how the game went, but from the SSN point of view supplied by Tony Cottee, Charlton took half an hour to have a shot (Holland blazing well over), and went behind after 37 minutes when everyone decided to leave a free kick which settled nicely in the corner.

Sadly, it seemed that the snow in other parts of the country would not force the abandonment of this match, and Pardew as going to have to work his magic (allegedly three dice that determine whether players stay on the pitch at half time or not: if your number comes up (in total), or any two dice can be shown to be on your shirt, that’s your lot!).

Luckily for the players, only the ones came up and Pards didn’t dare take Weaver off! On the second throw, Pardew hit 6-6-6, and better the devil you know, so the manager left the same eleven on the pitch.

Cottee came on TV and mentioned shot after shot coming from Ipswich – with Lisbie going close several times – and he actually apologised for not mentioning Charlton, saying that the Addicks were so poor and hadn’t yet had a shot on target after an hour. Why should Cottee apologise? Surely it should be Pardew and he should hand in his notice at the same time!

Then Youga gave away a penalty for handball but my one-to-watch Nicky Weaver saved; surely nothing can save Pardew, not even Nicky!?!

Even when Bouazza and Semedo came on (for Sam and Moots), there was no change to the shots on target column for the Addicks. Maybe the team should try shooting at Pardew in training, I’m sure they would be able to hit him, and they may have a better incentive to do so soon.

Then, finally, after 82 minutes, Bouazza got to the bye-line and Nicky Bailey controlled and shot home – on target; in the net! Surely nothing can save Pardew, not even Nicky!?!

Sat at home, it was a nail-biting time…but the lads hung on.

I'm really pleased that the Addicks snatched a point, but surely the club cannot continue to muddle along like this for much longer - we are directionless!

Other results – with at times all the clubs bar one below Charlton winning on the night (luckily not all of them were able to hang on to their leads) - now mean that the club is very low in the division; Saturday’s game versus Barnsley now takes on the six-pointer category, and if Charlton lose that, then the club must act and axe the man purportedly in charge. There is no way forward with Pardew at the helm.

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Charlton Athletic Online!

powered by Bloglet
Sports Business Directory - BTS Local
Custom Search